Saturday, February 9, 2013

Homemade Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate

February is definitely hot chocolate weather, and although I am fine with using store-bought hot chocolate mixes, I am much more satisfied when I make it myself. It only takes a few extra minutes, but the results are so much creamier and flavorful! Plus, I can rest easy that there are no creepy additives that some store-bought brands carry. 

Now, I titled this post as "dairy-free" hot chocolate because I have almost completely switched to drinking almond milk instead of regular cows milk, unless I am making macaroni and cheese or other savory dishes. I am particularly fond of unsweetened vanilla almond milk or plain unsweetened almond milk - both are delicious. However, this recipe works just as well with cows milk, soy milk, coconut milk, etc.! So have no fear if the idea of drinking non-dairy milk is off-putting. Get creative and experiment with what you prefer!

Another ingredient that may come as a surprise is cornstarch. Ever wonder how some joints serve the most velvety hot chocolate? Cornstarch is an excellent way to achieve that consistency! Just a small amount does the trick, and it really does create a more unctuous texture than plain old store-bought mix. Unless I am in a pinch, I can't see myself buying cocoa mix from the store anytime soon. So here's to staying inside on cold, windy nights and sipping steaming mugs of homemade hot chocolate. Happy eating!



Dairy-Free Hot Chocolate
Serves 1

1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or other preferred milk)
2 tbs. sugar
1 heaping tbs. cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. cornstarch
pinch of salt

Heat the almond milk in a small sauce pan or in a microwave-safe measuring cup until very hot, or until your desired drinking temperature (mine took about 2.5 minutes in the microwave). In a large mug, combine the sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch, and pinch of salt. Stir in a few tablespoons of the hot milk to form a thick paste. Add half of the remaining milk, stir thoroughly, then add the rest of the milk and stir until combined. Serve warm! 

For a Mexican Hot Chocolate variation, stir 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and a dash of Ancho chili powder into the dry ingredients before adding the milk. Also try a Peppermint Hot Chocolate by adding 1/8 teaspoon (a couple drops) of peppermint extract to the milk before stirring into the dry ingredients. 

1 comment:

  1. I just made this and it is delicious! I made it with rice milk and I didn't have any cornstarch. Great recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete