Sunday, October 7, 2012

Microwave Chocolate Chip Cookie

So there is a recent internet craze going on in which everyone has become obsessed with microwave desserts. Essentially, they are the single-serve, minimal-ingredient, 5-minute answer to the age old problem of wanting a warm, homemade dessert without having to put in the elbow grease to make it. It may seem like baking blasphemy to stick any kind of batter in a microwave and call it by its original name, but roll with me here. I have tested a few of these recipes, and only two have come up to par with my needs and expectations for what a microwavable dessert should be. I want whatever I am making to be thoroughly cooked without being spongey or dried out, have a flavor that is extremely similar to if not the same as a regular full-recipe dessert, and I want it to be easy enough to make that I will make it again and again. 


A recipe that genuinely meets these expectations is the microwave chocolate chip cookie. I have tried several recipes for various cakes and cookies and such, which have all had an unpleasant, sponge-like texture (sometimes to the point of hockey puck consistency) and a strange aftertaste. The chocolate chip cookie recipe, however, has the perfect ratio of doneness to gooeyness, has great flavor, and is super quick and easy to make. 

My body also thanks me because I make just one, eat it, and go on with my life, as opposed to making a huge batch cookies and somehow eating them all by myself. Incidentally, making a microwave version means you don't have to share with anyone, and sometimes you just need to have your own dessert. 

If you simply can't fathom the idea of not making a big batch of cookies, I completely understand! There is a method behind baking and a calmness that it brings, but sometimes you just need a cookie... right now... like, right now. In that case, use this recipe as an emergency sugar fix. You won't be sorry. Happy eating!

Microwave Chocolate Chip Cookie

1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg yolk (no whites!)
1/4 cup flour 
pinch of salt
handful of chocolate chips

Melt the butter in a mug in the microwave. To the mug, add the brown sugar, vanilla, and the egg yolk and stir very well to combine. Add the flour, salt, and chocolate chips and stir to combine (the batter will stick to the sides of the mug, so make sure to scrape it down). Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Let stand 1 minute before eating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment