Sunday, November 4, 2012

Crispy Sweet Potato Burgers

There came a time in my college career when I realized that buying meat for my meals every week was getting pretty expensive, and I also noticed that I wasn't feeling good physically from eating so much animal protein. I am not knocking meat eating by any means because I love a good burger just as much as the next person, but I know that personally I feel much healthier and happier when I eat more vegetables and vegetarian options. Plus, most vegetarian meals are much more inexpensive and can be stretched further, such as these scrumptious sweet potato burgers. 

I am crazy about these burgers, despite the fact that they are obviously meat-free. They are deliciously crispy on the outside, and creamy and savory-sweet on the inside. I did not have any burger buns or toppings that typically go on a burger, but I did have a ripe avocado that I sliced and drizzled with olive oil and lime juice, and then sprinkled with sea salt and chili powder, for a simple avocado salad. The combination of avocado with these burgers is rich, but they compliment each other so well. I will be making these all the time now because all I have to do is buy a sweet potato and a can of beans, and the rest of the ingredients are already in my pantry and fridge. 

Try a vegetarian meal a few times a week and see how you feel. It's definitely a nice change. Happy eating!


Crispy Sweet Potato Burgers

1 large sweet potato
1 can white cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning 
2 teaspoons honey
1 egg
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
Panko breadcrumbs
Olive oil, for frying

Wash and pat dry the sweet potato, then poke the skin several times with a fork so that steam can escape when cooking. Microwave the potato for 5 to 6 minutes on high, or until tender. Meanwhile, mash the cannelini beans in a bowl with the back of a spoon until fairly smooth. Scrape all of the sweet potato out of the skin and mix it with the mashed beans. Combine the potato-bean mixture with 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning, honey, egg, and whole wheat flour. Don't worry if the mixture is wet, it will still form patties just fine. 

Pour about 2 cups of the Panko breadcrumbs onto a plate and season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning. With wet hands, form the sweet potato mixture into patties and coat with a thick layer of Panko, being careful not to break up the patties (they are very soft). Heat enough olive oil to cover the bottom of a skillet over medium-high heat. Place 3 to 4 patties in the oil and fry on both sides until golden brown, then drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat until all of the patties are fried, adding more oil to the pan as needed. Serve the burgers alone with a salad or some fresh avocado, or on a bun with the usual burger fixin's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment