Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Baked Cajun Shrimp & Rice

Stress is starting to build up in my life as the semester progresses, and it is so nice to be able to throw a dinner together that is fast and easy. Especially when I have homework to finish, I don't necessarily want to be standing over the stove stirring a pot all night. Here is where one of the easiest meals I have ever made comes into the picture, this spicy, creamy, comforting baked shrimp and rice. There is hardly any measuring, you only dirty up a few dishes, and your kitchen will smell amazing. 



I adore shrimp, so I could try and rationalize eating this every week for the rest of forever, but shrimp can be kind of expensive. But the other ingredients more than make up for that because they are so cheap! Condensed soup, white rice, onion, green pepper, butter (lots of butter!) and Creole seasoning all add tons of flavor without breaking my wallet. I also have to mention that this recipe makes a TON of food and keeps in the fridge really well! 



I have seen similar recipes made with condensed French onion soup instead of cream of celery, but the celery flavor makes it taste more Cajun to me. Red bell pepper can also be swapped for the green bell pepper, but again, green is cheaper and just as tasty. I also put a crazy amount of Creole seasoning in the rice, but some don't like it hot, so feel free to use as much or as little seasoning as desired. I will be making this dish over and over this semester to feed my hungry belly and give me peace of mind in the midst of a hectic (but fun!) Senior year. Happy eating! 

Baked Cajun Shrimp & Rice
*make sure to use raw shrimp and rice, they will cook in the oven 

1 1/2 pounds RAW shrimp, shells/tails removed & deveined (the seafood counter @ the grocery store usually deveins them for you)
2 cups RAW white rice
1 (10.75 oz) can cream of chicken soup
1 (10.75 oz) can cream of celery soup (I used Campbell's Healthy Choice version)
1 (10 oz) can Rotel diced tomatoes & green chiles 
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 1/2 teaspoons Creole seasoning (such as Tony Chachere's)
4 tablespoons butter

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix the peeled shrimp, rice, chicken soup, celery soup, Rotel, green bell pepper, onion, and 1 teaspoon of the Creole seasoning together in a large bowl. Put the butter in a 13- x 9-inch pan and melt the butter in the oven. Remove pan from oven and swirl the butter around to coat. Pour in the shrimp mixture, spreading evenly. Sprinkle the top with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning. 

Cover the pan tightly with tin foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove pan from oven, stir the rice, recover tightly with the tinfoil, and bake about 40 minutes more. The rice should be fluffy and have absorbed the liquid in the pan. Serve immediately.   

No comments:

Post a Comment