Monday, January 14, 2013

Chipotle Potato & Black Bean Stew

Something about gloomy, rainy nights makes me crave spicy foods. Meals that make your lips burn and flavors that trick you into thinking you are somewhere else while the rain pours outside. Which is why I immediately flipped to one of my favorite cookbooks Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra for some inspiration and adapted one of her recipes for this hearty stew. I say "adapted" because the recipe was supposed to have sweet corn in it, but unfortunately I forgot to put it on my grocery list and it never got into the stew. It's a shame because corn in this recipe would add just the sweetness it needs to balance the smoky spiciness of the chipotles and the starch of the beans and potatoes. 

My favorite part about the stew is the chipotle peppers, which are smoked jalapeƱos stored in a vinegary sauce called adobo, and man are they spicy. I don't even want to know what it would be like working in the factory that makes these fiery peppers. Just two peppers from the can is plenty to add smoke and heat to the veggies, unless you are a spice fanatic and like to feel the burn. In which case, add as many or as few chipotles as you'd like. Don't say I didn't warn you, though. 

Even without the corn, this was absolutely delicious and it made a TON of food. I mean, three containers worth of food. I will be eating for days! I served it with cornbread from a box mix to which I added shredded smoked gouda cheese before baking - yummmm. This is originally a vegan recipe, so leaving out the shredded cheese on top would keep it that way, but I eat cheese almost every day, so it was a no-brainer that I would add it. 

Tonight, I enjoyed eating this stew and chatting with my roommate as the rain poured outside and our new Beta fish Tibault swam lazily in his fish bowl. Sometimes staying in, relaxing, and being at peace in the company of others is all you need to make an evening wonderful. Happy eating! 



Chipotle Potato & Black Bean Stew

2 tbs. olive oil 
1 small yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic
course salt & black pepper
2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
2 chipotle peppers in adobo*, chopped 
1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
3 cups water 
3 Russet potatoes, washed and cut into 1/2-inch dice
8 baby carrots (or 2 medium carrots), diced
1 (16 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tsp. honey
zest of 1 lime
juice of 1 lime
shredded cheese for serving, optional (smoked gouda, cheddar, pepper jack, etc.)

Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat, add the onion and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, saute for 5 minutes. Add the cumin and dried oregano and cook for 1 minute more. Stir in the chipotle peppers, tomatoes, and water and stir. Add the potatoes and carrots and bring to a low boil, cooking until tender. Add a little more water if the stew gets too dry before the potatoes cook. Add the black beans, honey, lime zest, and lime juice, and season with salt to taste. 

Take the stew off the heat and cover the pot with the lid. Let sit for at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve with shredded cheddar cheese and cornbread. 

*Tip for storing leftover chipotle peppers: Place the remaining chipotle peppers with their juice in a freezer-safe plastic zip baggie, and place the bag in the freezer. When you need the chipotles for another recipe, simply peel back the plastic and grate the chipotles on a cheese grater. This works every time for me and the chipotle flavor is still fresh.  

No comments:

Post a Comment