Friday, October 7, 2011

The Best Macaroni and Cheese in the World

I was recently asked to make dinner for a small group of friends, and I must say that this recipe for macaroni and cheese was the first one that flew through my mind. This recipe is the one recipe that I can recall eating from very, very early in my childhood, and my grandmother was always the one that I remember making it. She makes a double batch the day before a big meal and then pops it in the oven before eating, and it isalways the first thing eaten at the dinner table. As you can see from the photo, which I was hoping would be a gorgeous picture of still sizzling mac fresh from the oven, it didn't last that long. When you're serving this for five hungry college girls, don't expect there to be many leftovers. 




I mean, just look at this! Don't tell me you're not drooling!


My grandmother's recipe isn't actually her recipe, and it originally came from the back of the Mueller's elbow macaroni box. Come to think of it, I think you can still find the same recipe on the back today! The thing about macaroni and cheese, though, is that it is so versatile. I've sauteed onions before starting the roux, and even added crumbled bacon to the recipe for some salty, savory bites. But let me tell you, the single best variation I think I've had with this recipe is the simple addition of crushed Ritz crackers crumbled all of the top before baking. I've tried panko bread crumbs, store-bought dry bread crumbs, and even fresh cubes of white bread, and in my opinion, nothing stands up to the buttery, salty crispness that Ritz lend to each bite. My grandmother never adds a topping, but my dad and I pretty much haven't made it any other way. 






The other thing about homemade macaroni and cheese is that you will never think of the boxed stuff the same way ever again. I'm not knocking my classic Velveeta though - that stuff will always hold a place in my heart. But, oh man, this is the bee's knees. 



As I mentioned in my last post, I've given up sweets for Lent this year, so instead of baked goods for dessert, I made a super fast, crazy delicious fruit salad. The lime juice-honey mixture that goes all over it seriously tastes like a limeade and it makes eating fruit easier and more fun. I used strawberries, mangoes, and kiwis, but any combination of fruits would work. Even lemon juice and lemon zest instead of lime would be tasty! 





Warning: This fruit salad is slightly addictive. As I think about this fruit salad, I really want to have the leftovers topped with some plain greek yogurt in the morning. That is definitely a delicious breakfast worth looking forward to.

Macaroni and Cheese 
This recipe is doubled - feel free to halve it!

1 pound elbow macaroni (I used Barilla Plus penne)
6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons flour
a few pinches each: ground nutmeg, dried granulated onion, cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups (32 oz.) milk (I used skim, but 2% or whole would make this extra creamy)
16 oz. extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup crushed Ritz crackers


Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until barely cooked, about 3 to 4 minutes (we're not even looking for al dente here, just enough cooking to get the outer bite off - it'll cook perfectly in the oven). Drain and set aside. 


Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Heat the butter over medium heat until foamy and add the flour, stirring constantly with a whisk to form a thick paste. Cook for about a minute until it's a light blonde color (this is the roux), then sprinkle the nutmeg, granulated onion, and cayenne over top. While whisking constantly, add the milk, raise the heat a notch, and cook until the mixture coats the back of a spoon thickly. It may take a while, but the results will be a silky, smooth bechemel sauce. Add all that grated cheese and stir until melted. Pour the pasta into a 9x13 inch baking dish and pour the sauce all over - stir until all the pasta is coated. Sprinkle the crushed Ritz over the top and bake for 35 to 40 minutes until browned and bubbly. 

Fruit Salad with Honey and Lime

1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
3 mangoes, skinned and diced
4 kiwis, skinned and diced
2 tablespoons honey
zest and juice of 1 lime


Combine all of the fruit, honey, lime zest and lime juice in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until ready to serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment