Monday, October 10, 2011

Spice up the morning with Breakfast Burritos!

I love pretty much everything about breakfast food. I love how it's often easy to whip up and get on the table, I love that it energizes your body for whatever the day brings, and I especially love how the smell of pancakes or bacon or coffee floats around the house, getting me in the mood to get the day started. I also love burritos, and when breakfast foods like scrambled eggs and sausage get wrapped up in a warm tortilla, something crazy delicious is about to go down! I've been on a scrambled egg kick lately (eggs are super cheap and quick!) and my new favorite thing is to brown up some veggie sausage, wilt in some baby spinach, add some eggs and scramble up the whole lot for a super tasty meal. 




One of my favorite food bloggers, Jenna from Eat, Live, Run, posted a recipe for breakfast quesadillas, and she does the exact same thing with her eggs as I do, but she goes a couple steps further and adds crumbled goat cheese and hot sauce to hers! I adore quesadillas, but I hate having to wait for them to get crispy, and my frying pan just ain't big enough for the kind of tortillas I want to be eating! So I adapted her recipe into the ultimate quick, cheap, and easy breakfast burrito. I've made this recipe two days in a row, and I just might go for a third day because these are seriously so yummy! 




Feel free to use chicken or pork sausage if you're not in to veggie sausage, and if you don't like goat cheese, try some sharp cheddar or pepper jack - just make sure it's got a lot of flavor! I would even use wilted baby arugula instead of spinach. The possibilities are virtually endless!


Breakfast Burrito 
(recipe serves 1, but it is easily doubled or tripled)

2 eggs (preferably organic), whisked and seasoned w/ salt & pepper

1 veggie sausage patty (or 2 veggie sausage links)
1 cup fresh baby spinach
2 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
1 whole wheat or plain flour tortilla, warmed
hot sauce, for serving (optional)


Heat a small nonstick pan over medium-high heat, spray with a little cooking spray, and add the veggie sausage. Brown the sausage on both sides, and cook until it is no longer frozen. Break up the sausage in the pan with a spatula and cook for a few more seconds. Add the baby spinach and cook until completely wilted. Stir in the eggs and scramble until the mixture is completely cooked and no longer runny. Place the warm tortilla on a plate, top with the scrambled egg mixture, the goat cheese, and a drizzle of hot sauce. Fold up the tortilla burrito-style and enjoy with more hot sauce!


*For best burrito wrapping, fold the left and right sides of the tortilla about 1 inch inward, then fold the side closest to you away from you. Gently roll the filled tortilla to the farthest edge and hold this edge so the burrito doesn't fall apart. Burritos are delicious, but sometimes messy, so grab a few napkins while you're at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment