Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie

Let's face it. Peanut butter and bananas are a match made in heaven. I'm down with a PB and banana sandwich any day, and I will be the first to order banana ice cream with Reese's Cups at Cold Stone Creamery (they're banana flavor is insane!). Although no one is stopping me from going to Cold Stone every day and getting a huge scoop of ice cream, I try to have at least some self-control, so I set out to satisfy my ice cream cravings in a healthier manner. Lately, I've been on a huge smoothie kick (blueberries, raspberries, oj, spinach, and flax is a winner!), and this peanut butter banana smoothie hits the spot in oh-so-many ways!




You've got fiber, calcium, protein, and all sorts of other goodies in each smoothie - tasty and healthy! I use frozen chunks of bananas instead of adding ice, which lends the smoothie a creamier texture, and soy milk, creamy peanut butter, cinnamon, honey, and vanilla make it taste super rich. I have also made this with regular dairy milk, and it tastes just as delish, but I've noticed that soy milk (or even almond milk) gives the perfect creaminess, similar to soft-serve ice cream. You can even add a tablespoon of cocoa powder for a peanut butter-chocolate combination. I use my 14 oz. personal-sized blender, but a larger blender would work just as well, I'm sure! Happy blending! 




Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie (serves 1)


*1 frozen banana (method for freezing below)
1 cup plain or vanilla soy milk
1 heaping tablespoon creamy peanut butter
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract


Blend everything together in a blender until smooth. Serve immediately and enjoy!


*How to freeze bananas: 
To make four future smoothies, peel four ripe bananas and cut into six to seven (1-inch) chunks (depending on banana size). Split the chunks evenly between two plastic sandwich bags, making sure the bananas are in an even layer, and freeze the bags flat until the bananas are completely frozen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment