Friday, October 7, 2011

Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos w/ Chipotle Crema and Refried Beans

Oh, fish tacos, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways: They're out-of-this-world delicious, super fast to whip up, and not at all as weird as some people think they are! My absolute favorite restaurant in the world is Cabo Fish Taco in Blacksburg, VA, and if I could eat there every day, I would do it in a heartbeat (providing my heart's still beating after eating pounds of their Baja Shrimp and Crab Dip!). Since there's only about three weeks of school left, I've been counting down the time before I can get back home and pop on over to CFT for some of their incredible food!


Sometimes, when you can't make it over to your favorite restaurant, you have to whip up your own version of your favorite dish. Such was the case for me tonight when I broiled some Trader Joe's mahi mahi fillets that I flavored with lime juice, cumin, and chili powder, then assembled myself some tacos with creamy avocado, crunchy shredded cabbage, and some chipotle-yogurt sauce. Laaaaaawd, these were tasty! Now, Cabo's fish tacos are definitely a cut above my own, but I think I came pretty close to the flavors I wanted. You also don't have to use mahi mahi if you don't want to. Try using tilapia or fresh tuna - basically, anything goes!


I haven't even mentioned the refried beans yet! I personally adore canned refried beans, and I try to beef them up a bit by stirring in a can of whole pinto beans for extra texture. I also spice things up with chili powder, lime zest, lime juice, and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese at the end. If I were to keep up with the Cabo theme, I would have added some Modelo Especial Mexican beer to mimic their Modelo Refried Beans, but that sadly wasn't an option here. You really can't get much better than a side of creamy beans for that baja flare! 



Broiled Fish Tacos with Chipotle Crema


1 pound boneless, skinless fish fillets (mahi mahi, tilapia, etc.)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
juice of one lime
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
pinch kosher salt
1 (6 oz.) single serving fat-free greek yogurt
1 canned chipotle pepper, finely chopped
1 tablespoon water
pinch salt
6 to 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
*** Toppings: fresh avocado, thinly shredded cabbage, lime wedges, cilantro, chopped tomatoes, etc. 

For the Crema: Mix together the greek yogurt, chopped canned chipotle pepper, water, and a pinch of salt. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

For the Tacos: Whisk together the oil, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, and salt and coat the fish fillets with the mixture. Heat up the broiler in your oven and line a baking dish with tin foil. Place the fish on the tin foil and pour the remaining lime juice mixture on top. Broil the fish until completely cooked, cool slightly, and cut into 1-inch chunks. Warm the corn tortillas in a dry pan, assemble your tacos with the avocado, cabbage, fish, and chipotle crema, and serve with the refried beans!

Cheesy Refried Beans

1 can low-fat, vegetarian refried beans
1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
zest and juice of one lime
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

In a medium sauce pan, gently stir together the refried beans, pinto beans, lime zest and juice, and chili powder. Heat over medium heat until the beans are hot throughout. Right before serving, sprinkle the cheese over top and put the lid on the pot to allow the cheese to melt. When the cheese is melty, serve the beans with the tacos!

No comments:

Post a Comment