Friday, October 7, 2011

Lazy Sunday Afternoons and Mixed Berry-Granola Muffins

I'm not usually one to mess with a baking recipe, but today I was inclined to make some serious (and seriously tasty) tweaks to a blueberry muffin recipe I found at Allrecipes.com. For one thing, I didn't have any blueberries in my apartment, but I did have half a bag of Trader Joe's mixed berries, consisting of blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries. I also had some plain granola, Back to Nature brand, that I really wanted to sprinkle on top for some extra crunch. I probably should have stopped there, but instead of regular old cow's milk, I substituted vanilla soy milk - yuuuummmm. 



Substitution in baking can be risky, and I honestly thought these muffins would be a flub because the batter only filled up 7 out of 12 muffin cups! The batter itself was super thick, so I was afraid I might have gotten my measurements wrong, but sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised by how well a little tweaking can work out in a recipe. These muffins are slightly heartier, and the granola adds the perfect crunch to the muffin tops, while the mixed berries are slightly tangy. I also threw in some lemon zest, and it adds such a citrusy scent - perfect with the fruit. I would definitely recommend making a double batch since mine didn't come close to filling up a whole pan. I'm definitely pumped to keep perfecting this recipe!





So next time you decide a recipe needs to be jazzed up, go for it! Even if it doesn't turn out the way you wanted, you just might be surprised! 



Mixed Berry-Granola Muffins

*For me, this made 7 muffins, so it might be a good idea to double the recipe in order to fill the whole muffin pan!

3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 cup milk 
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 cup fresh or frozen mixed berries (mine came from a bag of frozen raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries)
1/4 cup plain granola (I used Back to Nature Classic Granola)


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Thoroughly spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. In a smaller bowl, combine the oil, egg, milk, and lemon zest. Stir the frozen berries in the flour and coat well - gently fold the liquid into the dry ingredients until just combined. Fill the muffin cups about 3/4 full. Sprinkle the granola over the top of the batter. Bake the muffins for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment